Sunday, October 7, 2018

The Lord's day of rest

The "work week" of the Synod runs from Monday to Saturday. While a six-day work week may seem long to those of us who treasure our weekends, it is actually quite Biblical, especially when we consider that in the Christian tradition it is Sunday that is called the "Lord's Day".

Of course, the Lord's Day means we should spend some time with the Lord! A relaxed early morning was followed by a visit to a friend where we had a chance to celebrate mass in a small chapel.


After mass we climbed on the roof terrace of one of the Roman residences to listen to the Pope offer his Angelus Message (as he does every Sunday). In this picture you can see the crowd in Saint Peter's square:


Once that was over, a light aperitif was followed by a delicious lunch shared by the Canadian Latin-rite bishops in Rome, along with Father Frank Leo, the General Secretary of the CCCB. Cardinal Marc Ouellet was our gracious host:


Left to right: Fr. Frank Leo; +Stephen Jensen; Me; Cardinal Ouellet; +Luc Cyr; +Lionel Gendron; and Cardinal Lacroix.

After lunch I headed to the Canadian College to use their wifi (as I explained earlier, the wifi at my current Roman residence is terrible, especially later in the day) and I had quite a bit of work to do for the small group for which I was elected Rapporteur. In the end, however, I did not get that much done, because the email server back home in Montreal started to go wonky (and flat out died around midnight). I suppose it was just as well, as it gave me a chance to catch up with friends. I guess the Lord really did want me to rest today!


No comments:

Post a Comment